Thursday, June 5, 2008

Another Graduation Today

Today my JJ graduates from Jr. High...which means he will be a freshman in high school in a few months...my son! Where has the time gone? Where is the little baby that would insist that I "rubba his head" so he could take a nap? OH!JJ was a wonderful baby and toddler...actually J had it together until he hit JR high.

I never really had any problems from him....good eater, good sleeper.....behaved for the most part. I don't think it was until puberty started that he gave me any trouble. He has decided to be a professional football player....a goal I admire. However, it took me a year and a half to convince him that he could not be drafted right out of high school and that he would have to go to college(and I'm still not sure he completely believes me now) Yes, Joshua you have to do well in school because you can't go to college if you don't, and if you don't go to college you can't play pro ball.

Josh is an extremely intelligent child...he just lacks motivation. He has an engineering mind. When he was three he would construct all kinds of contraptions and systems out of buckets, string, and other household items that would allow him to pull toys from the bottom to the top bunk, he rigged his closet to do all kinds of things. The boy has brains....and he has potential...we just have to figure out the key motivating factor. I may tie his grades starting in his freshman year to him getting his driving permit.

Lucky for me Joshua has not discovered how good looking he is...or how that power may be used. Hopefully, he will continue on the path he is in that area. Although 14 Joshua is still a kid at heart...give him a playstation or a wide open field and a football and he is happy. At the park near the house, the neighborhood boys his age run to the sidelines to suck face with their "girl friends" between plays....Josh is intent on setting up the next play.

He attempted to have a girlfriend...because his friends thought it would be a good idea...he was completely out of his league...and his siblings of course ratted him out, bringing that to a quick end.

So today my Bubby will move onto the next phase of life....and there's nothing I can do about it but pray for the best and trust that he will stick close to God and follow the path He has for him!

No comments: